Monday, September 16, 2013

Chalkboard Frame with Deer Silhouette

I recently stumbled upon a new blog and it's love.  I discovered City Farmhouse on Pinterest, and after clicking over to the photo's source, fell down the rabbit hole.  An hour later, I'd completely stalked her entire house, and trust me when I tell you... it's AMAZING.  What I love the most is that she's really into up-cycling furniture and decor she already has... I mean how pretty is her living room all done up for Christmas??


A lot of it is found furniture that she's slapped some paint on, recovered, or made-over in some fabulously creative way.  A girl after my own heart, since money isn't exactly growing on trees around here...

The coffee table is a prime example of her creativity... the table is originally from Ikea, and she painted it and nailed wooden slats down after giving them an aged finish.  I've thought of doing this exact project SO. MANY. TIMES. But I've been too lazy, and I felt really unsure of if it would turn out... seeing her gorgeous home has totally inspired me to go for it.


Baby steps though... before I tackle this coffee table makeover, I have a smaller project in mind.

As you well know, I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of mounted antlers... I've posted about it twice already (here and here).

It hasn't been something I've actively pursued though because I'm really on the fence about having real antlers in our house (flashbacks of Bambi are haunting me) and in all honesty, I think that a resin deer head would be way too much for our small space.

That said, I saw Jen's chalkboard stag silhouette and was sold. Game over.


Her full tutorial can be found here, but it consists of a few simple steps... get a frame (with glass), paint the glass with chalkboard paint (after priming), trace the outline of a stag and color it in...

Voila!

So SO awesome, right??  I prefer the thickness of the wood on the chalkboard frame that hangs above her mantel a bit better, but this would be such a fun project to test out, and it's virtually risk free.  The deer head is temporary - just erase it when you're sick of it, and there you have it!

I NEED to try this out soon!  No clue where I'll hang it just yet, but that can be sorted out later!

Brilliant, right??

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It's so nice of you to promote other bloggers too.
    -Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Yes, she is super talented and creative. Gotta spread the love :-)

      Delete