Thursday, June 13, 2013

Federal Style and a History Lesson

It started with this picture from Blue Label Bungalow...


This room is a bit more traditional and masculine then I would choose for my own home, but there is one piece in particular that caught my eye in this space... can you guess what it is??  (No not the lamps, although I DO love those too...)

Maybe these other pictures will give you a hint...


Still don't know??  Here's a few more hints...




No Source

Yeah, I know it's totally obvious... I was just totally indulging my obsession with the ornate, old time-y Federal Mirrors that I seem to keep noticing EVERYWHERE. In college I double majored in Sociology and History... BUT... I am a complete novice when it comes to spotting and identifying period pieces.  All I know is that these mirrors are cool, and I want to know more about them...

I dug up a little info on their origin - The Dumbarton House talks about where these mirrors originated:
Our nation’s early years, when the Federalist Party led the American government between 1790 and 1828, generally defines the Federal period. During this time, a strong sense of nationalism was born and many government leaders, like Thomas Jefferson, looked to the classical past of Greece and Italy for inspiration in forging the identity of the new American democratic Republic.

Thanks Thomas Jefferson... and I guess Greece... because these mirrors are FAB!!  What makes these mirrors "Federal" style are the concave mirror (which is cool on it's own), the eagle embellishment (so "Americana") and a brass frame (with an awesome antique patina).



What I do NOT love about these mirrors are the price tag on them... for a legitimate Federal mirror, you'll be paying in the thousands... easily.  Dang it!

However Google saves the day again, and after a few random searches, I learned that these were all the rage in the 1950's, and a company called Syroco became famous for their molding technique where they were able to churn out exact replicas of these "eagle mirrors".  I've also learned that they can be called "Bullseye Mirrors" as well... which helps when searching eBay and Etsy for replicas.

Seems like all the mirrors in the larger size I want will run between $60 and $150 which compared with thousands, is a steal!

I'm imagining this over our bed (like the first photo here) or even in an entry way - although a convex  mirror is not ideal for the last minute hair fixing before running out the door...

What do you think about these beauties?? Are you as into them as I am?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So in love with these mirrors! Thanks for the gorgeous pictures! I'm hoping to find a huge one at a garage sale this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Absolutely super cool post, great details, so good in fact that I have put a link into my website to yours. Also now follow you on Pinterest.
    Kind Regards
    Julian
    julianvincentantiques.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky! I am totally with you [funny also double major in History & Sociology] became obsessed over 20 yrs ago first drawn to their Federalist history then to charming way they open up a room play with the light have collected 44 spread throughout my home frames made of wood, ceramic, metal, & Syroco mirrors ranging from 3 1/2" to 17" most are Bullseye or Federal but many from England that are antique convex framed in various designs even pair of Art Deco & Cameo. I love many varied poses of the eagles and their wings most recent acquisition eagle facing front metal wings raised high mirror 3" with little candle holder in front! It has been one happy hunt all these years refused to buy any online collecting only ones that "found me" in antique shops throughout my travels blessed with a lot of great deals...So much FUN to share!

    ReplyDelete