Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Traditions: Christmas Tree Hunting



Every year since I was a child, my family would go and cut our Christmas tree down.  We'd all bundle up, drive up to the mountains and chop down the PERFECT tree.  Rain or shine.  One year, there was a terrible storm, and the rain was coming down in buckets.  We ate our little picnic in the car, chose a tree right off the side of the road, and were in and out in 5 minutes.

I happen to love this tradition - picking up a tree from the home depot just doesn't have the same appeal.  And you can't beat the smell of a freshly cut tree - amazing.  I still go with my parents, and their traditions have become mine.  My mom sent me this note today:

"Daddy and I have been cutting down our tree from the first year we were engaged and will probably continue to until we're sitting in a convalescent home with drool bibs! Even then, we might try to sneak out with a saw or small hatchet..ha ha!"

Is that not the cutest thing in the world?  While Kris and I aren't engaged, I hope we are the same way, and have our own yearly rituals that we continue with our kids, and even after our kids are grown.

Painting courtesy of Laura Tasheiko

No comments:

Post a Comment